Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dr. Albert Mohler on NurtureShock

Dr. Albert Mohler is the president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary - the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention. He's one of the intellectual leaders of the evangelical movement, and he also hosts a daily radio show, which I had the pleasure of being on yesterday. This appearance was important to Ashley and I, because we think there's a false dichotomy out there between science and faith as they relate to kids. In fact, modern science has a lot of guidance to offer about the moral development of children. When our work was first published in New York magazine, Dr. Mohler was one of the first to tell Christian parents to listen up.

On the show yesterday, Rev. Mohler called NurtureShock "a phenomenal book," "the kind of counterintuitive thinking we desperately we need," "fascinating," and credited it for "tremendous gains in understanding of our children and ourselves."

-Po

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just read about the book today. At first, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it, as I am always wary of this type of book, conerned whether it would conflict with my belief system. But, as a fan of Dr. Mohler, I will definitely give this book a look.

I am wondering, what are the two authors' opinions on homeschooling?

1:06 PM  
Blogger Ashley Merryman said...

I'm pleased to hear it - I hope you enjoy the book.

I haven't really seen any research done on homeschooling, and I think it would be a very difficult study, because each kid's experience would be so different.

Of course, I support parents who are involved in their kids' lives, so for that alone, I applaud parents who homeschool.

However, I think homeschooling has the same concerns as other types of education: is the curriculum of a sufficient quality, does it give a child opportunity to develop socially, as well as academically, etc.

So I don't think that homeschool is inherently better or worse than anything else: it's whether it best suits the child/family.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home